Saturday, March 19, 2011

How To Make a Baby Book

As most of you know, my baby sister is expecting. Honestly, it took me a while to get used to it. I had always expected to go through that first, but God likes to take your expectations, throw 'em out the window, and see how you deal. To make it up for how distant I was in the beginning, I decided to use my recently acquired crafting skills to make a baby book. The book is similar to that of a scrapbook; it's not just photos or details, but both.

It started with me finding three stamps in the $1 bin at Michaels. The stamps read, "funny face", "oh baby", and "my life". From there I found some inks, powders, and cut-outs. Then with various trips to Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and Meijer, I found the rest of the materials. I couldn't tell you how many different trips or how much I spent, but Alex would not be happy if he knew the "secret" materials I purchased!

all the materials…mostly

I started by building the first page which would contain the details of the birth and baby. While building this page, I asked Al his opinion on something and he said it was fine. When I did it for real, he asked why I had done it that way. Apparently it looked like shit! I tried to cover it with a cloud, but it looked awful. Al had the idea to do balloons, so I gave in and went with it. I was pretty excited with how it turned out. It took me a full night to complete that page. And over a period of two weeks (I think), I worked on the book. I've come out with a total of 16 pages. In addition to the front page, there's one for the nursery, for the first bath, for the first smile, for only mom and baby, for only dad and baby, and many more. For the front cover, I kept it simple by adding a blue ribbon from another baby shower and spelled out the baby's name, Chance, in safety pins. 

 the front cover

 the first page

 the page of "firsts"

 come to me my animal friends

I had a great time making it and really hope that Emily and Tony are as happy with it as I am!

For my sister,
--Am

1 comment:

  1. Haha...yay! I totally remember purchasing those stamps. Lol...it looks awesome! So proud of u...just a little Martha Stewart u are!

    ReplyDelete