Thursday, March 24, 2011

How To Time Travel

Every time I visit my parents, I head up to my old room and peruse the clothes, schoolbooks, childhood toys, and other random items. We visited them on Sunday and like always, I trekked up to my room. I found some string that I once I used to make friendship bracelets (remember those?), but could now find a more creative project for it. On this particular trip I decided to open up the boxes stored up high. The first one I opened contained old baby blankets. Not sure if they could be reused for an future babies, but decided I could take them home. The next box was filled with old guard sweatshirts. I wasn't in the mood for guard reminiscing, so I put these back on the shelf. The third box I opened was brimming with old, dirty, precious stuffed animals. As a child, I had somewhat of an obsession with stuffed animals. I loved them! I had to get all of them out and reconnect with each of them. As I'm starting to get to know them all over again, Al rounds the corner and asks, "What in the hell are you doing?" I explain the animals and start to give him their backstories, but he doesn't care. All he can say is, "You know that a pediatrician would never let you give those to little kids, right?" Of course (although it does break my heart a little), but it was still fun going down memory lane! 

On my way out of the closet, I grab my favorite pair of jeans from high school (I just could never part with them) and my mom's hot pants outfit. A little history behind the hot pants. When my mom was 15, she travelled overseas (France and maybe some other places). My grandmother picked her up at the airport to find her wearing this outfit. Boy, was she in trouble! Back to me, I used to wear the top to the hot pants outfit in high school, but could never fit into the bottoms. I decided to try it on with my new found body. Hot pants still don't fit and the shirt is not very flattering. It was worth a try! Being a little discouraged, I decided to go for the jeans and see if they fit. So, I tried them on they are perfect. Not tight or loose, but just perfect. They are soft to the touch and oh so comfy! I have missed these jeans. They are terribly frayed at the bottom and have holes in the wrong places, but are still wonderful. I wouldn't dare try to wear them at work, but they are perfect for weekends and lounging around. In fact, I'm wearing them right now!  

the jeans

al made me stick my butt out :(
at least diego looks cute

the hot pants

Another great treasure from high school is my class ring. I've been wearing it on and off in place of my wedding ring, while the wedding ring was getting fixed. That took longer than expected as the stone cracked and the ring was out for an additional week! However, it was nice to wear the chunky class ring for a bit. It's somewhat masculine, and I think I actually like how it looks on me now better than it did back in the day! 

class of 2000

amber!

Happy reminiscing! 
--Am


4 comments:

  1. I should also mention a big thanks to Claire @ cottagerevolution.wordpress.com for her title suggestion. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wearing the high school jeans!! That's got to feel good. Sorry you didn't get a little more company on your memory trip with your stuffed animal friends. There are probably layers of reasons for that. It's good you have this blog, Twiggy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, how come I always look like an Ass on every blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex--Maybe it's what you say. I simply put in there what you said. Maybe this should show you something about what you say and how it comes off?

    Katherine--It does feel so good! Poor Al, he's going to get it a lot with me!

    ReplyDelete