Sunday, April 10, 2011

How To Adopt Furry Family Members

In the post How To Be a Lover of Animals, I gave some backstory on our one and only cat, Hallie. Since we did very little this weekend and spent most of the time yelling at our dogs, I thought I'd give some backstory. Here's all you need to know about our eldest: Daisie.

 Daisie as a puppy, approx 3 months

Daisie today at 2 1/2 years

After I moved into the house and Alex was over a lot, he decided it was time I got a dog. He did a lot of the research and would constantly send me pictures of dogs. I specifically remember getting the picture of Daisie (who was actually named Ashley) and thinking she was like a little cub, furry and cute. It took a lot of convincing, especially since I was working a ton and I was worried about Hallie's feelings, but he finally got me to accept. He found her on petfinder.com, and she was the last of a litter of eight to be adopted. She was born in November and the runt, which I hear are the best! She was rescued by a group called Heart for Dog Rescue, and put into a foster home. I remember it was February 5, 2009, and Alex and I were going to meet her. The foster parents were super nice, and Daisie/Ashley was just so adorable! We took her home that evening. One look was all it took. On our way back home, we were throwing out different names. I have this obsession with names and with my female pet names ending in "ie." We went through everything, Rubie, Goldie, Blondie, Pansie, until Daisie. 

She was such an adorable little pup-pup that it was hard not to fall fast for her! We took her to the vet for all her checkups and everything was going smoothly until one day. She began acting lethargic and stopped eating/drinking, so we started to get a little worried. We called our vet friend in a panic and she suggested that if she didn't get back to normal after trying a few things, then we should take her to the animal clinic. Well, we freaked and took to the animal clinic. $300 later, we find out she has parvo (fatal in 80% of dogs) and has to have a sack of fluids put under her skin, so she doesn't get dehydrated. We could've left her there for observation or taken her home. We chose the latter. We cried on the way home and spent as much time with her at night. The next morning she was still a little slow moving and not ingesting anything, so I ran out to the store and grabbed some popsicles, hoping she'd eat them. Not only did she eat the popsicles, but she also ate some eggs and rice. She was getting back to normal and had survived the parvo scare!

    

where's that coming from?

As she was growing up, Alex was able to watch and train her during the days I was at work, and a friend would let her out on days neither one of us could. Alex spent a lot of time with her, which probably explains her codependency and obsession with him. She is in LOVE with him! But, she is also the best behaved dog we have. She is easily scared and acts like a good guard dog, but I think she would hide if push came to shove. She also has the largest, deadliest tail known to man! It hits everything and doesn't feel good when it does. No matter what, I'm glad to have her. She's sweet, loving, and a sissy, but I couldn't imagine not having her!

To all you dog lovers, 
--Am

PS - I forgot to mention how cute Alex was when we first got her. He was so excited, he went to PetSmart with his mom to pick everything out (ie bed, collar). It was so adorable when he brought home the pink collar with white daisies for our little Daisie. :)

1 comment:

  1. Awwwww! I remember!! The trip to PetSmart and the trip to the vet about the parvo! I remember!

    ReplyDelete