Tuesday, January 25, 2011

How To Be an Artist

I really wanted to call this blog "How To Be an Artiste," but then I looked up the difference between the two. An artiste is someone that is trained and skilled in the arts, while an artist is someone engaged in the arts. I don't even want to claim being skilled in any way, shape, or form in the area of arts. I don't use that side of the brain…I'm an accountant, remember!

On Monday night, I, along with my mom and sister, partook in a Wine and Canvas event at Stone Creek in Greenwood. We used the Living Social deals I had purchased that got us in for only half price (only $17). I arrived first and was able to get us a seat near the front, which I discovered later was helpful. Mom and I ordered a glass of wine, while the pregnant one (Em) had water. We each got an appetizer that I thought we would share, but nope. Well not entirely no, as Emily shared her calamari, but mom did not share her delicious-looking beef crostinis.

I had consumed more wine before the food arrived, so I started off a little tipsy. We began painting by following the easy instructions given by the artist. The instructions were perfect for people who don't have an imagination…like me! I need direction and don't do well when I'm told to be creative or to draw/paint freehand pictures. So, the step by step, hard and straight instructions worked wonders for me.

We painted the background first, which was a sunset. I must say that mom had a beautiful sun and Em had a fabulous reddish sunset. Mine on the other hand was just so-so. After that dried, we were ready for the tree. I must say that my tree was phenomenal! I had thin branches that curved beautifully. This is not to say that mom and Emily didn't have nice trees (because they did), I was just partial to mine. :) Oh, and I cheated a little bit on the tree by moving it closer to the center of the painting instead of keeping it to the left. I can be creative!

After the tree, we basically put swirls all over, as many or as little as we wanted.  Em went for a lot, and I went for a little. I mainly had little because I don't do well with random and get a little OCD making sure that there aren't two of the same colored swirls within a so-many-inch area. I'm a freak like that. Also, my swirls ended up looking more like e's, but oh well. I must say that the end result is pretty awesome. Even Alex (an artiste) said it was pretty good, and I was worried he would have criticized it.

All in all, it was a lot of fun and have signed up for two more trips (at full price)! I can't wait to get my drink and paint on again.

Color me proud!
--Am

painting by Amber

closer-up of painting by Amber

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! I've never heard of it, I may have to check it out sometime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ton of fun! You should definitely check it out. Also, there's one called Cookies and Canvas, which is for kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! I think we are going there for the fundraiser! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That will be fun! I like the picture they are doing in February for Every Dog Counts! :)

    ReplyDelete