Sunday, May 1, 2011

How To Take Forever to Make a Very Wide and Very Short Scarf

Back in December I got very ambitious and decided to learn how to knit. I found some very informative guides on youtube to help me get started (and to finish). It took me forever to figure out how to do a slipknot, but I finally found an easy to follow video. I had to reteach myself this, as I already forgot, and I still found it difficult.  I can be so challenged at times!

I casted on 60 times (whoa!) and went through three rolls (which I later learned are called skeins) of yarn. All I learned originally was the knit stitch. So, I knit stitched 98 rows. Sorry if that terminology is wrong, I'm not an expert. During that time, my mother in law was over and taught me how to purl. She is so fast with the needle. She knits using a different technique than I do, but I can't remember what it's called (can you help me out Katherine?). It's so much easier to learn from someone in the flesh than it does from a video, so I'm thankful for her showing me the ropes!

For my second skein, I decided to change the pattern to knit, purl, knit, purl, knit, purl. The next six rows would then be purl, knit, purl, knit, purl, knit. This created rows that were flat on one side and raised on the other. There are 17 rows like this in total. For the final skein, I went back to using the knit stitch for the final 98 rows. At the end, I used this video to learn how to cast off.

All in all, it was pretty easy to do. Although there are some imperfections and it's an awkward width and length, I'm pretty proud of what I made! Take a look for yourself:

about two thirds of the scarf

wrapped around once

Happy knitting!
--Am

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, you clever thing, you! Who cares how long it took! It all looks nice and even! My grandmother taught me the European method. You carry the yarn in your left hand. The American method, you wrap the yarn around the needle each stitch with your right hand. It all works out the same.
    Anyway! Nice work! Love you!

    ReplyDelete