Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How To Be Martha Stewart on a Whim

I love time to myself. Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with Alex, family, and friends, but sometimes I like to be alone. It gives me a chance to catch up on my tv shows that Al won't watch and to be lazy. Monday night, I had the opportunity to do whatever I pleased. Al headed to my parent's house to give dad a tutorial on the iPhone. After reading the chapters for our bible study this Wednesday, I turned on the tv and decided to indulge in House. Since I can't just sit and watch tv, I decided I would be crafty.

Al had asked me if I was ever going to complete the shoes I had started that had taken up residence in the corner of our kitchen. He always knows how to give me motivation to finish what I started. Thanks honey! Needless to say, I started with the shoes. With lack of creativity, I covered the remainder of the shoes in silver and the bow in gold glitter. No idea where the heck I would wear this to, so maybe I can build a Halloween costume around them. Any thoughts?

the silver shoes...glittered and glossed

After completing the shoes and making a huge glitter mess, the creative spirit took hold of me. I got this bag full of goodies that I had purchased on a trip to Michaels. Among other things, this contained feathers, bobby pins, and thin wire. I started out easy by taking a pre-made feathered piece and gluing bobby pins on the back. It made for a pretty extravagant hairpiece.

feathers

Next I grabbed the wire and started playing around with it. I'm not that creative, so I couldn't quite figure out what to do with it. I cut some off, molded it, folded it, twisted it. Nothing. I had made the start of a necklace and gave up on it because it wasn't doing what I wanted. So, back to the bag. That's when I found the butterflies. Originally, I wanted these to be hairpins, but decided that was too seventh grade. Fortunately, they weren't terribly hard to string onto the wire. And the wire curved at just the right point that I could make it a floating necklace of sorts. I was very proud with how it laid and the overall look. I wish I would have gotten a full body picture of this with the original outfit because it looked amazing!

the floating butterflies

Oh, but I'm still not done! I still didn't know what do with the wire I cut originally. I curled it and twisted it until I decided to make it a bracelet. But a plain wire bracelet is boring! I had to add some sort of detail. I covered up the end pieces with an old tank top strap (this way the cut ends wouldn't scratch my delicate skin). Still not enough. Then I found the bag of feathers. I started looping them in and out of wires. When I tried it on as a bracelet, I realized that every time it would come off and go back on that I would lose feathers. That's when it hit me that I should make it a "pendant" for a necklace. I grabbed an old chain and added the feathered circle.

feathered mess

All in all it was a pretty successful evening with not having anything planned. Oh how I do enjoy attempting to be Martha Stewart!

Accessorize away!
--Am

the three pieces

4 comments:

  1. maybe you should start your own show like martha. than i could retire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately for you, I don't think I quite have her skills or imagination! Plus, the thought of being on tv scares me.

    ReplyDelete