Thursday, February 24, 2011

How To Paint on Canvas

There have been two additional Wine and Canvas events that I've attended but have not yet blogged about. I know you are all very sad! The second one I attended (which is the first in this blog) was at the Stone Creek in Greenwood. Our artist was a guy named Greg and we were painting flowers in the field. Can I say easy? However, you would never know it because Greg was not a good teacher. He didn't have much of a presence, and I felt myself often moving ahead or doing my own thing. One plus was that I won the raffle they had during the break. Yeah, a free appetizer at Stone Creek!


flowers in the field

My third trip was on a Saturday with Katherine (Al's mom). I was a little nervous about the painting we were doing because it was super detailed. Then when I found out we would have the same artist that we had last time, I got really nervous. Additionally, we were sitting on stools. That's right, no backs on the chairs for three hours. I'm a weakling! The crowd was also very different from the crowd on the southside. They were louder and more annoying! It was nice to spend some time with Katherine. However, we are going to have to do an easier painting the next time, so we actually have time to visit. I was too involved with this painting and how it looked that I was beginning to get stressed. So, no more difficult, detailed paintings for me. Here's how it turned out:

New Orleans at night

I must also say a big thank you to Alex for making me feel better about it. I was beating myself up about how it turned out, but he thinks it's a little abstract, which he prefers. Katherine's, on the other hand, was awesome! I wish I took my camera with me so I could have taken a picture of her painting and you could compare the greatness with the amateur. 

Until I paint again!
--Am

2 comments:

  1. Amber, I think your painting looks great! I thought so when we did it, and the picture prooves it! It was the hardest one like this I have ever done. I think you and I just know what the teacher's painting looks like. If we could just forget that and love what we have, we'd be in a better place. It was really more like running a mini-marathon with a group of "partiers." I loved it--and I love you!

    ReplyDelete