Thursday, February 17, 2011

How To Make a Baby Shower Diaper Invitation

Most of you know, my sister's expecting. Her friend Brie is throwing her a couples baby shower, and I am lending a helping hand. Since I've gotten crafty lately, I offered my skills for the invitations. I researched baby shower invitations and one of the first pictures that popped up was of a diaper invitation. I had to do that! I searched around for templates, cut some examples, and had my coworkers choose the best looking style. It was hands-down the more classic-looking diaper as opposed to the boxy, modern-looking diaper.

Upon returning home from work, I dragged Alex out to Hobby Lobby for the supplies. I grabbed baby blue card stock for the diaper, white paper with blue polka dots for the info card, and safety pins. Mind you, we walked around the store about 30 minutes just to get this stuff (and a picture frame for Alex's Paramedic certificate--I'm so proud of him!). I was glad Alex wasn't rushing me along, but actually helped me make decisions. Sometimes I need that!

Home again, I start on the computer typing out the card insert. It takes a minute to get the wording right and make sure I make the cards the correct size, then I can print. I always print on scratch paper before I use the real thing. However, be it my luck that I screwed up and didn't put enough scratch paper in there, so one of my good pieces of paper was jacked up. Good thing I kept that invitation for myself and had just enough for the rest.

Onto the diaper, all the templates I found were either too small or the wrong style. So, I had to freehand it. Not usually a good idea on my part, but it worked. Of course, I tried it out on a spare piece of paper, and then it was off to the races. Outlining, cutting, folding, inserting. The outline looks kind of like a martini glass.

diaper template--aka martini glass

After it's cut, the bottom is folded to the top and the triangle sides are folded in. It's not hard. I mean, if I can do it…you know the rest. Once folded, the info card was inserted. Then it was on to hole punching and putting on the safety pins.

I enlisted the help of Alex because it was taking me forever to cut the info cards to size and fold the diapers. He was fabulous by helping cut some martini glasses and by hole punching the tops and inserting the safety pins (which he thankfully spray painted white). He's just AWESOME!  Thanks honey!

I must say that's I'm pretty proud of the finished product! Anybody want me to make invites for them? I'm getting pretty crafty. :)

Invite Away!
--Am

the finished product

the insert card--you can slightly tell it's a little imperfect

No comments:

Post a Comment